The Alliance Saving and Healing Lives Training Video is a half-hour on-demand training video that provides a brief introduction to the organ donation process for healthcare students and professionals across the community of practice. The curriculum follows the course of patient care from declaration of death through family support and the donation discussion, followed by support of donor management and surgical recovery of organs for transplant.
Please note: This video is legacy content from The Organ Donation and Transplantation Alliance, produced in the mid-2000s. The foundational content is still relevant today; however much of the data, technology, methods and approaches have adapted over time. Please refer to your local program for the most up-to-date data and policies on organ donation, recovery and transplantation.
- Identify and describe the principles and goals of organ donor management.
- Understand the roles of different members of the multidisciplinary team of professionals in the donation process.
- Realize how full clinical management of critically ill or dying patients can preserve their` ability to become organ donors, that otherwise would be lost if treatments were limited.
- Be able to distinguish myths from facts regarding the donation process.
- Learn how collaboration between an OPO and the clinical team leads to a more successful donation process.
- Describe how organ donation can benefit donors by honoring their wishes and have a positive impact on donor families and transplant recipients.